Reading B: The Little Mermaid

The Real Little Mermaid
Starting off this story is a lot different from the disney version of the Little Mermaid! I knew that LM had sisters but they were never as major of a part of the story so it was interesting to see them more. It was also interesting that the Sea King plays a much more minor role in this story! It's his mother who seems to be the mai parental figure. I really don't like that none of the characters seem to have names, calling the main character the Little Mermaid feels silly.

Okay this Sea Witch is terrifying. Much scarier than the disney version for sure. I'm sorry she just CUT. OUT. HER. TONGUE. Other than just being awful I feel that this would create a lot of problems going forward, like she needs a tongue for more than just speaking?!? Also while it was sweet in the original story the idea of winning someone over with just your body is kinda awful, I feel like it helps that she is already pretty quiet but I mean she brings more to the table than just being pretty and graceful! And it apparently hurts her to walk? This is not a fair deal at all!

Also I realize The Prince is calling her "dumb" because she can't speak but it's honestly rude and I don't like it. And him treating her like a child is weird and condescending and I am not loving this!!! Okay just finished and HE MARRIES SOMEONE ELSE? This is the worst story of all time. Like this awful and not fun. That's so sad!!! And I feel like it doesn't make any sense, I'm supposed to feel better because she has a chance at an immortal soul with the wind people but she doesn't have a chance with the Prince? If it was about her immortal soul they should have kept the prince out of this. Why on earth would anyone read this story it is completely depressing. Booo. 

Comments

Popular Posts